What Can I Give My Pet For Fireworks Anxiety?
Humans may enjoy the revelry of fireworks, but for some pets – fireworks, like thunder storms, can cause a great deal of stress which may include:
- Violent shaking, trembling
- Excessive drooling
- Barking, howling
- Trying to hide or get into / out of the house, fence, or other enclosure
- Refusing to eat food
- Some animals may loose bladder or bowel control or experience temporary diarrhea from prolonged stress
General Things To-Do To Keep Your Pet Calm..
- Keep your pet inside. Your natural instinct might be to let your dog face their fear and join you outside. However, they may panic and try to run away or become more aggressive. Instead, let your dog run and exercise outside earlier in the day and before the fireworks begin, bring them inside.
- Keep their environment calm. To avoid the bright lights contributing to your pet’s anxiety, close the curtains or blinds. You may find that playing soft music helps keep them calm as well.
- Keep guests away from your pet. New people can cause more anxiety in a panicked dog. If there are lots of people around, keep pets in their own calm space, rather than letting them roam.
- Wrap or Swaddle your pet. Putting something with weight or slight pressure on your pet creates a calming effect, according to a recent study. While this may be difficult if you pet is running from one end of the house to the other, if they calm down, a comfortable weighted shirt or swaddle can give your pet a sense of feeling grounded and calm. Similar to a weighted blanket for humans. Though be sure they are still able to move around freely. You can find vests, like the Thunder Shirt, at your local pet store. You can also save money by wrapping your pet’s chest in an ace bandage (but not too tight!!) to create the same effect.
How Budz Family CBD Can Help…
Depending on the weight, level of fear and how strong the CBD product is, will determine how much CBD they need. Note: All of our pet products are made with Full Spectrum CBD. This includes the legal limit of .3% THC. This small amount of THC is considered beneficial to promoting relaxation in your pet! All Products are Third Party Tested to ensure these levels are within the legal limit.
We set a general recommendation of 2 mg of CBD for every 10 lbs.
We recommend that you administer your first dose of CBD to your pet several hours prior to the fireworks. And if you bought your product days a head of time, try it out before the 4th.
Giving CBD hours prior to the fireworks allows the oil to pass through the digestive system and begin to work, while giving you time to see how your pet reacts to CBD. Was the dose you gave strong enough to relax them? You'll know in about 45-60 minutes how it is working.
After an hour or so, if you do not notice any difference, try giving an additional 1/2 dose. For example, if you have a 50 lb dog and gave them a single dose (1 ml) of the Pet Tincture, give an additional 1/2 ml. If you give a 50 lb dog a single CBD Pet Treat, give them another half and see how they do. If you gave your pup a teaspoon of the CBD Peanut Butter, give an additional 1/2 teaspoon and see how they respond.
Most pets will become relaxed and want to take a nap. They may seem lethargic if a large dose is given, but hey, hopefully the bangs of the fireworks won't even both them...